Your mind cannot create what it cannot see.
The worlds greatest athletes visualise their moment of success. Martin Luther King said “I have a dream”. Steve Jobs communicated what life with the iPhone looked like in the greatest detail. First he won over the Apple employees, then the public. Visualising the future allows the mind create it.
The following exercise provides you with the structure and framework to design what success looks like for you. When your picture of success is clear, you repeatedly impress it upon the subconscious mind through repetition.
And you consciously act into your future success. You work back from the ideal day in your future. You identify potential obstacles. You plan to navigate them. When you have you 1 or 3 month goal outlined, you take the required action to achieve it.
This combination of intentional, conscious action being aligned to your subconscious inner belief of achieving your dreams is unstoppable.
What your mind conceives and believes, it can achieve.
This exercise is critical to your professional growth and personal success for the following 2 key reasons:
- Everything that has ever been created has been created twice, first in someone’s imagination and then physically. Your ideal day, that begins in your imagination, and in time will become emotionally charged, will be brought into your physical reality through your creative process if you so desire. If you don’t have a clear, concise and compelling picture of what success looks like in your business and personal life, you will rely on luck, hope and the actions of others. That’s because of the 2nd reason…..
- You and I think in pictures. Think of someone you love. An image of that person pops into your mind. Now think of your home, an image of your home replaces the image of your loved one……you and I are wired to think in images. Now grasp the implication of your mind not having a clear, concise and compelling picture of your future success. Your mind cannot create what it cannot see.
Pick an important date or event which is between 2 and 10 years away.
You’re going to put pen to paper, and write as much as you can about what makes this day or event absolutely ideal.
Everything that is important to you in your life is as you want it. Consider, but don’t limit yourself to the following areas……
- Spouse, children, family, friends, business/career, financial security, personal growth, health and fitness, hobbies, lifestyle – whatever else is truly important to you.
- Consider your current level of satisfaction in each area, rate it out of 10. Then ask yourself, what does 9 out of 10 look like?
Be clear on the outcomes in each area and what they means to you.
- Why is this important?
- Who will benefit from it?
- How will they benefit?
- Considering those benefits, what positive ripple effects could be experienced elsewhere for you and those closest to you?
How are your values being played out? Those things which are non-negotiable for you in life. They define who you really are as a person – they’re how you ‘show up’. Describe them being active in each of the areas above.
Some useful things to consider……..
Go into detail – if this is going to be your inspiration, then we need to get crystal clarity on key matters. Feel free to ask yourself these questions, to get your mind really envisaging what is happening in your ideal world.
- What is happening?
- What do you see?
- Who is there?
- What are people saying to you?
- What are you saying to them?
- What does your week’s schedule look like?
- What are you planning to do in the coming weeks and months which shed further light on your life at this time?
- How has your career changed recently, and over time?
- What are you proud about having achieved in that process of change?
- How have you developed?
- How do you feel?
- What else is happening in your life which is to the fore of your mind?
- Who are the key people in your life?
- How much time do you have to yourself?
- Where are you spending your time?
- How do you relax?
- What do you do to challenge yourself?
- What physical shape are you in?
- How will you continue to drive this happiness moving forward?
This is your ideal day – include anything you like – these questions are only designed to make you think deeply. They are not prescriptive and your wider thoughts and feelings are still sought. The more you own this and the more personal it is, the greater the sense of purpose you will have and the greater your motivation will be.
Your vision will keep you focused through the inevitable low points of your journey.
How it works…….
- Your subconscious mind goes about creating any image impressed upon it by your conscious mind. It does this over time by modifying your beliefs, actions and behaviours.
- Your subconscious mind CANNOT decipher images that come into your conscious from the outside world via your eyes, from the images that are created in its conscious by your imagination.
- This means that by repeating the process above, your mind will begin to believe the vision and your thoughts will be influenced in a positive way towards your success.
- Your thoughts, as we know, dominate your feelings and emotions, which drive your actions and behaviours which impact directly on your results.
What can you do next?
- Schedule time now – 60-90 minutes. Can you begin right now?
- Return a day later, and begin from scratch – do not review your previous work.
- Repeat, on a daily basis if possible, for the rest of the first week. By starting afresh, you demand more from your subconscious.
- Keep going into week 2 until and beyond until you feel that you are writing that same thing over and over again. And until it is crystal clear – your ideal day.
- Then, and only then, feel free to check previous works to ensure you are including everything.
- Finally, you can simply use a master doc and go about adding extra magic detail until you feel it is complete.
- At this stage you should be able to recall the majority of your vision anyway. But by revisiting it on a regular basis, especially before you go to sleep and when you wake up, you impress the ‘new you’ on your subconscious. This means your thoughts, feelings and actions become subconsciously aligned to experiencing your success.