This exercise is critical to your professional growth and personal success for the following 2 key reasons:
- Everything that has ever been created has been created twice: first in someone’s imagination and then physically. Your ideal day begins in your imagination. In time it will become emotionally charged. Then you can make it happen in reality. If you don’t have a clear, concise and compelling picture of what success looks like in your business and personal life, you will rely on luck, hope and the actions of others. That’s because of the 2nd reason…..
- You and I think in pictures. Think of someone you love……..an image of that person pops into your mind. Think of your phone number……..you see the numbers typed or written. You and I are wired to think in images. Now grasp the implication of your mind not having a clear, concise and compelling picture of your future success.
If you don’t consciously create a vision for your mind to follow, it cannot create that ideal reality for you. But it will carry on and create some reality regardless. That’s life. Just like a gardener has to be intentional about the flowers she plants, or she succumbs to the idea of weeds overgrowing the patch instead.
So be intentional about it. Otherwise, you’re giving that responsibility to other people and other forces who influence you subconsciously. To be blunt about it, that’s kind of a waste of your life.
Here’s how to do it.
Follow it rigidly, or loosely, but enjoy it. It’s your life!
Pick an important date or event which is between 2 and 10 years away.
You’re going to put pen to paper and write as much as you can about what makes this day or event absolutely ideal.
Everything that is important to you in your life is as you want it. Consider, but don’t limit yourself to the following areas……
- Spouse, children, family, friends, business/career, financial security, personal growth, health and fitness, hobbies, lifestyle, physical environment, fun, adventure, learning etc – whatever else is truly important to you.
- Consider your current level of satisfaction in each area, rate it out of 10. Then ask yourself, “what does 9 out of 10 look like?”
Be clear on the outcomes in each area and what they mean to you:
- Why is this important?
- Who will benefit from it?
- How will they benefit?
- Considering those benefits, what positive ripple effects could be experienced elsewhere for you and those closest to you?
How are your values being played out? Those things which are non-negotiable for you in life. They define who you really are as a person – they’re how you ‘show up’. Describe them being active in each of the areas above.
Some useful things to consider……..
Go into detail – if this is going to be your inspiration, then we need to get crystal clear on key matters. Maybe ask yourself some of these questions to help tease out more clarity about your ideal world:
- What is happening?
- What do you see?
- Who is there?
- What are people saying to you?
- What are you saying to them?
- What does your week’s schedule look like?
- What are you planning to do in the coming weeks and months which sheds further light on your life at this time?
- How has your career changed recently, and over time?
- What are you proud of having achieved in that process of change?
- How have you developed?
- How do you feel?
- What else is happening in your life which is to the fore of your mind?
- Who are the key people in your life?
- How much time do you have to yourself?
- Where are you spending your time?
- How do you relax?
- What do you do to challenge yourself?
- What physical shape are you in?
- How will you continue to drive this happiness moving forward?
This is your ideal day – include anything you like – these questions are only designed to make you think deeply. They are not prescriptive and your wider thoughts and feelings are still sought. The more you own this and the more personal it is, the greater the sense of purpose you will have and the greater your motivation will be.
Your vision will keep you focused throughout the inevitable low points of your journey.
How it works…….
- Your subconscious mind creates any image impressed upon it by your conscious mind. It does this over time by modifying your beliefs, actions and behaviours.
- Your subconscious mind CANNOT decipher images that come into your conscious from the outside world via your eyes, from the images that are created in its conscious by your imagination.
- This means that by repeating the process above, your mind will begin to believe the vision and your thoughts will be influenced in a positive way towards your success.
- Your thoughts, as we know, dominate your feelings and emotions, which drive your actions and behaviours which impact directly on your results.
What can you do next?
- Schedule time now – 60-90 minutes. Can you begin right now?
- Return a day later, or as soon as you can, and begin from scratch – do not review your previous work.
- Repeat as often as possible for the rest of the first week. By starting afresh, you demand more from your subconscious.
- Once you’ve got a draft of all the important areas in your life, consider diving deeper into specific areas for more clarity. Especially if they have a greater importance to you or greater influence over the other areas.
- Keep going until you feel that you are writing that same thing over and over again. And until it is crystal clear – your ideal day.
- At this stage, you should be able to recall the majority of your vision anyway. But by revisiting it on a regular basis, especially before you go to sleep and when you wake up, you impress the ‘new you’ on your subconscious.
- This means your thoughts, feelings and actions become subconsciously aligned to experiencing your success.